How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19453
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

My wife is suffering with Granuloma Annulare, it cover a large

Customer Question

my wife is suffering with Granuloma Annulare, it cover a large portion of her back, but funnily not where her bra straps are. Is there anything that can help her with this problem
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry that your wife is having so much problems with granuloma annulare. Unfortunately, this condition can be stubborn and difficult to get under control. However, there are several options that can be considered for granuloma annulare.

The steroids are commonly used for granuloma annulare. When steroids have not been effective, there are several options. If it is limited to the back, it would be reasonable to try a topical medicine that suppressed the immune system by an alternative mechanism, such as with tacrolimus or pimecrolimus.

In persons with more extensive or persistent disease, then other options include the use of isotretinoin or phototherapy. The phototherapy consists of taking an oral medicine, psoralen, and then using a specific UV light. There also have been case reports or small studies that have looked at using other systemic medicines that suppress the immune system, such as cyclosporine, hydroxychloroquine, etanercept, or infliximab.

So, I would usually try topical medicines to suppress the immune system next, and if still persistent, your doctor can consider isotretinoin or phototherapy.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.