How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gehring Your Own Question
Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 26074
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Gehring is online now

There Just a general question re my grandson, he has learning

This answer was rated:

Hi There
Just a general question re my grandson, he has learning difficulties, mentally backward ,
he is 27 years old in rented accomadation, His Mum.(my daughter) lives just round the corner from him, she is his appointee.
Most of the time Mark is fine, but maybe once every two weeks he takes alcohol, gets drunk and becomes violent, this has led to police involvement, When not taking alcohol he is fine, because of the situation he has had to move house 3 times in the past few years because of neighbour complaints, social work don't seem to have a clue, Jacky took him to his old GP saying she heard there was a tablet or something, to stop people taking drink, the GP. said this was only for alcoholics. is this type of thing not prescribed for mental health reasons, or is there any treatment he can get, as I say without drink there is no problem

Hi there, I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you. Perhaps ou are refering to Nalmefen (Selincro), which is an anticraving substance not only for alcoholics, but for "critical drinkers" like your grandson as well. It is for "adult patients with alcohol dependence who have a high drinking risk level (DRL) and who do not experience physical withdrawal symptoms and who do not require immediate detoxification". I would ask the GP for this medication. Maybe he didn't know it because it is relatively new on the market. All the best to you and your family!

Dr. Gehring and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you