How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35494
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

My wife is suffering from COPD diagnosed some four years ago.

Customer Question

My wife is suffering from COPD diagnosed some four years ago. Two years ago she was in a car accident and two vertebrae were crushed.
The Doctors prescribed Oramorph for pain relief and she, my wife, has monitored the dose carefully but it is no longer giving her much relief from the severe pain.
I now read that Oramorph should not be prescribed for patients with COPD!
As she struggles daily to survive, what alternative treatment could you suggest.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Any strong opiate can depress the respiratory drive and can be a problem with patients with COPD. For alternative medications I'd suggest Fentanyl patches, Tramadol, or oxycodone none of which has the respiratory effect of Oramorph Let me know if you need more information please