How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 48711
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

My 25 year old son is causing more and more concern. He believes

Customer Question

My 25 year old son is causing more and more concern. He believes he is a healer and that he knows the real world, we are all slaves to a system. He has illusions and speaks telepathically to people. There is no talking to him as his way is right and we are all mentally disabled. He gets extremely angry constantly , sends abusive texts and messages. I have tried to talk to him about how upset he is making me and his sister more than anything ( seems to cyber bully us and not his Brother or father) but he just rages down saying he is a healer and we are cowards and he has to teach us. He is paranoid about Wifi effecting him , food he eats, peoples energy the lot. He rages down the phone to me often and I cannot communicate with him. I live in fear that he will hurt any of us as he has lashed out many times , mostly at women. The girlfriends he did have he ended up hitting the last one was 3 years ago and the remorse after this and his withdrawal from life seems to be the route. He smokes Weed as he is convinced its a healer and the Goverment no nothing. I am sure you have heard all this before. I just need to know what to do next. How do you talk to someone who wont talk, shouts back and is abusive.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

it sounds like he could be suffering from schizophrenia or some other type of medical illness.

it sounds like he could very well be at risk for harming himself or others

it sounds like he really needs to be committeed or sectioned into a psychiatric hospital for evaluation and treatment to get him some help.

he will no doubt resist this.

it doesn't sound like he is willing to see a psychiatrist to get help on his own.

you should be calling psychiatric help hotlines in the UK for help as well

Mind Promotes the views and needs of people with mental health problems. Phone: 0300(###) ###-####(Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm) Website:

Rethink Mental Illness Support and advice for people living with mental illness. Phone: 0300 5000 927 (Mon-Fri, 10am-2pm)

you need to contact your local social services – you can usually find their number on your council’s website. They can arrange a mental health needs assessment and provide access to support.

let me know if you have questions.