How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35603
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I have a very bad prolapse. I was due operation On July

This answer was rated:

I have a very bad prolapse. I was due for an operation On July 14th but my husband died a few days before and I had to cancel. My consultant was brilliant but had, during the last days of my husband's illness, taken a post in a hospital in the Midlands. He said there was no one he could transfer me to in our local hospital, and referred me to a big hospital a distance away. This has meant I have gone to the bottom of the list. My first appointment is November 23rd with the operation to follow at the end of March. I am having problems with the pessary which needs replacing (before it causes the damage that one did back in March, when I became an emergency and needed oestrogen to make me strong enough for the operation). I have been turned away for the replacement procedure by two A&E departments last week because no one was available with the skill I needed. Friends have said they will pay for me to have the operation privately, but so far we have not been able to find a urogynaecologist in the Bristol/North Somerset area. My consultant said this is the skill I need.
I gave my husband 24/7 intensive care on my own - willingly - for three a half years and I had hoped I might be able to have some quality of life for a few years now.
Hi--sorry to hear about all this but I'm a little uncertain as to your question so could you clarify it for me please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I had hoped you could suggest a way forward for me, or where to look for a urogynaelogist who does private wok in the area. I am in no-man's land and the NHS is obviously not able to deliver in this area of expertise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I expect I am asking the impossible but it seems sensible to follow any opportunity for help offered.
Would you be able to pay for a private consultant's expertise?
And did you say that you already have been looking for such a consultant in your area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have family members who say they would like to and are easily able to fund private care for me. We have been looking in this area. extensively, but I just wondered if there was something or someone we had missed because you are on the other side of the knowledge.
Please do leave it there. I have a feeling I am asking the impossible. Having just helped my husband through cancer and heart failure I realise I should be grateful this is all I've got to cope with. There are so many worse off than me. Unfortunately however much I put up with my problems,it gives them no help at all. It was a privilege to do everything I could for my husband and we turned a prediction of 4 weeks into three and a half years, without any treatment and I managed to keep going despite the severity of my problem. Wouldn't have had it any other way. I just had a hope I could have a last had something done to make life easier.
Very many thanks for your help, Ann
Sorry for the delay Ann
Where exactly do you live?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Weston super Mare. Many thanks
Here are two suggestions for consultants to contact Ann
Both have excellent credentials
Let me know if you need more names please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I will need to stop here. I had been seeing one of the consultants at Waterside for two years, when the problem became acute. He was not available when I was taken in as an emergency and so I was seen by the new consultant who had just arrived at the hospital. The original consultant was only able to offer me an extensive operation, but the new man offered a better option. The original consultant wanted to be at my operation to see the procedure being used. Now, of course this is not possible because the new consultant has left, having transferred me to Southmead. Unfortunately they don't want to know me until November and I've been discharged from Weston hence the feeling I am in no man's land.
I am really grateful for all your help, but I will stop here. A conversation with my daughter this afternoon has made me decide that I will find a private consultant in Bristol who would be able to give me the interim care and support as or if needed while I wait for Southmead. I have been working on myself and am gradually getting 'everything' to work again, which it wasn't doing last week and, with long periods of lying down I am getting by. Thank you again, Mr Chip, for all you have tried to do to help me.
My pleasure but keep in touch and let me know how it goes
Dr. Chip and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you