Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician

There. I've got an infected cyst in my upper lip. My GP

Hi there. I've got an infected cyst in my upper lip. My GP has prescribed Flucloxacillin (stronger dose of 500mg), and has instructed me to take it 4 times a day. She didn't specify at which intervals. The pharmacist said every 4 hours, but I've been recommended by a relative who had a medical background to actually take it every 6 hours. What are the recommended intervals?
This is Dr. David

taking a medication every 6 hours will mean you have to wake up in the middle of the night to take a pill

if you get up in the middle of night and are willing to take a pill in the middle of the night, then you can take it every 6 hours

but QID 4 times day instructions really are 4 days during the day which are morning, noon, dinner and before bed which can be every 4 hours appart so you don't have to wake up in the middle of the night.

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks dr. David. I guess my main curiosity is if the intervals will really affect the antibiotics' effectiveness. Does a shorter interval (I.e. 4 hours) negatively affect my health? Or does the timing not matter?
a shorter interval will not negatively affect your healththanks for the positive can take it every 4 or 6 hours and be fine.