How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Internist Your Own Question
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1066
Experience:  MBBS,MD (USA)Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Internist is online now

I am unsure if I am best going to the local Nurse. Anyway,

Customer Question

Hi, I am unsure if I am best going to the local Nurse. Anyway, i am 23 years old and have noticed a recurring red lump on my outer labia, this seems to reoccur when shaving. The lump is red and i have tried to squeeze but this just irrates it and it become more inflamed ( I initially thought it was an in growing hair/spot). Do you have any suggestions on what this may be? It is approximately half the size of a pea. Let me know if you need further details.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,I am online and will be happy to answer your questions and provide you an excellent service.I am sorry to hear about your problem. does it come and go .or is it present all the time?have you noticed any discharge/ pus coming out of it? any swelling in groin region ?any history of sexually transmitted disease?this is an info request, please reply so i can help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does seem to come and go, no it only bleeds when I squeeze it and irrate it. No swelling or any other discharge/pus. No no history of STI. I was tested for this when I went to the nurse.
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
thanks for replyingso this type of swelling in this region is very common and can be due to one of following reasons. ( can be better diagnosed after local examination, so i would recommend going to primary care doctor)1. folliculitis ( inflammation of hair follicle)2. hidradenitis sppurativa3. blocked duct of a gland, causing swelling of remaining portion. 4. sebaceous cyst first two are more suspected in your case and can be cured with following management.1. keep your area clean2. apply topical mupirocin ( bactroban) 3. need for use of oral antibiotics like doxycyline or clindamycin can be told after local examinaiton, but i think it is better to use clindamycin for 3-4 days.this type of swelling often recurs ( especially if there is a cyst formation and may need to be surgically removed. ( a minor outpatient procedure)
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.
please let me know if this helps. or if you have any questions
Expert:  Internist replied 2 years ago.

I am here to help you and I wish you best health,

If I have answered all your questions, Please leave positive rating ( hopefully Excellent (click on the 5th star).)

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime.

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile: