How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35511
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I have a cough which feels like it comes from just under my

This answer was rated:

I have a cough which feels like it comes from just under my right collar bone and not my chest, it feels loose sometimes when I cough and then it will go away for a while and then come back, I cough and it seems to dry up and go away but then returns later, I have recently had a cold and had my chest checked and it was all clear but just wonder why this is happening?? Any ideas are welcome on what could cause this??
Hi--any chest pain with this?Are you bringing any phlegm up with the cough?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No chest pain and not really any phlegm
OK Debbie.
How long have you had the cough?
Any problems with heartburn or indigestion?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not really no, it's been a couple of weeks with the cough, it feels as though there is phlegm built up just under the right hand side of my collar bone I cough it clears then feels like it dries up and goes away for a bit it seems to happen like 3 times a day where it feels like it is there, it doesn't wake me up at night, no shortness of breath at anything like that, sometimes it feels like if when I have a shower and I put hot water from the shower on the area that it clears it if that makes sense??
So it's almost like a burning feeling in that one area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it's not burning it feel like a pocket of phlegm in the area but then after coughing it clears until the next time
OK. First off nothing too serious Debbie
Sounds like an allergy problem and you can try either Claritin or Zyrtec once a day for a week to see if that clears it up. If it doesn't you'd need to see your doctor for something more allergy-specific like Singulair

Let me know if you need any more information here please
Dr. Chip and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
My pleasure but please remember to rate my service to you--that's the only way I get compensated for the time I spent with you