How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. SH Your Own Question
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 8808
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. SH is online now

I have an ache in my right hip, and between my legs on the

This answer was rated:

I have an ache in my right hip, and between my legs on the same side. It also sometimes appears on my thigh and sometimes lower leg. The ache is worse after sleeping at night for a few hours. What could this be ?
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
There are a couple of possibilities that I would like to consider and rule out:
1. Degenerative disease of the lower spine --> this leads to bulging discs in the lower spine pressing on nerves that go to the legs. Pinched nerves can cause the pain that you are experiencing. The diagnostic test for this problem would be MRI of the lower spine. X-rays of the lower spine are not very good. MRI would give a very clear picture of the lower spine and whether there is any nerve being pinched by a bulging disc pressing on a nerve.
2. Arthritis of the hip joint --> this can cause pain in the hip joint and this pain can also affect or radiate to other parts of the leg i.e. it may not be very localized to the hip only.
So I would recommend that you be seen and be evaluated to rule out/rule in these conditions.
Meanwhile, for the pain you can try taking over-the-counter pain medications like ibuprofen or naproxen or even paracetamol.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars.
Kind regards
Dr. SH and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is an ache I have experienced in the past, so maybe I will treat ibuprofen for now and visit GP I the coming weeks. What do you think ?