How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29282
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now

My boyfriend aged 35 had a cardiac arrest due to drug overdose

This answer was rated:

My boyfriend aged 35 had a cardiac arrest due to drug overdose of pylisibin mushrooms (massive amount) last thursday night, I did cpr ( I was a nurse for 17 years) and brought him back to consciousness and then he dipped in and out for about 45 minutes until he started to breath normally and then an ambulance came and he went to hospital. He seems to have made a full recovery and has gone back to work but hasnt gone to see his GP and I am so worried that he will have another cardiac arrest that I am in a shocked state. Also shocked from seeing him dead and having to keep working on him for so long until he had normalised. Please can you tell me if he is likely to have another cardiac arrest and what tests can be done to check that his heart is ok. His dad died aged 52 of a heart attack too which makes me worry more. He seemed very healthy apart from a bad cough and does smoke too which worries me too. I just need to know if a cardiac arrest due to drug overdose means that it is unlikely he will have another one or if it means that maybe there is something wrong with him and he might have another one. I am worried that he isnt taking it seriously... I dont know what to do. Many thanks Jane
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I understand your concern for your boyfriend.Your boyfriend should get following heart tests: Echocarrdiogram to assess for any damage to the heart muscles and valves, a nuclear dye stress test to check for normal heart contraction and possible blood vessel related blockage, and a 24 hour holter monitoring to look for any abnormal heart rhythm.if all these tests are normal, then your boyfriend had drug overdose related cardiac arrest.That will not recur again without any drug use.If he doe have underlying cardiomyopathy or any structural heart disease, then he will need implanted defibrillator to prevent these episodes.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:
Dr Basu and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you