How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 49169
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

I need to tell the parents of a 16 year old girl that she needs

This answer was rated:

I need to tell the parents of a 16 year old girl that she needs immediate help as her self harm of choice is to drink nail varnish remover.
She is covered in scars on her arms and also hair pulls.
It is the nail varnish that frightens me.
I want to be able to tell the parents what they could expect from a GP?
What next for her? Where to get the help?
This is Dr. David
yes, you should tell the parents.
if the child is an immediate risk for self harm, the child may have to be sectioned into a psychiatric hospital for evaluation and treatment so she doesn't hurt herself.
they will assess her psychiatric illness and treat appropriately there.
you are doing the right thing to help the child before she causes permanent injury and self harm.
hopefully the child and parents are willing for her to get ongoing psychiatric care.
let me know if you have other questions.
Dr. David and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
thanks for accepting additional services

my contact information is below

thanks for using