How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2418
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now

Dear Drs., I am a patient who has hydrocephalus due to an

Customer Question

Dear Drs.,
I am a patient who has hydrocephalus due to an automobile accident as a child. I no longer wish to be controlled by prescribed medication, Lasix, tramadol, anxicalm. I cannot carry a pregnancy while on these medications and having suffered 8 already, I am turning to you to advice on alternative methods.
Please Help,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Hellohydrocephalus usually requires a shunt.I shunt would alleviate any need for diuretic.If you have a shunt, and can not be controlled without meds, you will need them.Tramadol is a pain reliever, and anxicalm is a tranguilizer.There is nothing to replace these on that level that is safe in pregnancy. Not opiates and not tranquilizers.Hydrochlorathiazide can replace lasix in pregnancy.With your medical problems at age 45 this would be an extremely high risk pregnancy. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.