How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19465
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

I saw the out of hours doctor on Saturday with chronic ear

This answer was rated:

I saw the out of hours doctor on Saturday with chronic ear pain they said it was otitis, I have been using steroid drops but the pain is worse feeling more dizzy
Hello from JustAnswer.
Did the doctor say what type of otitis is present?
Were you prescribed any medicine beyond the steroid drops?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She said the Middle ear is swollen both ears and can't see beyond that no other medicine
If someone has a middle ear infection, or otitis media, it will sometimes resolve over a few days without specific treatment, which is why your doctor may not have prescribed a drug for specific treatment, although it is unclear why your doctor would have prescribed steroid drops.

When an otitis media does not resolve over a few days, the usual treatment is an oral antibiotic. However, there are no oral antibiotics that are available over the counter. It is possible, though, to use over the counter medicines to help ease symptoms. Some of the fullness and dizziness can be helped by certain antihistamines that are marketed for motion sickness, such as meclizine or dimenhydrinate. It also may help to use a decongestant to try to ease the fullness in the ears. It would also be fine to use any of the over the counter medicines for pain, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen.

If these over the counter medicines are not sufficient to ease the symptoms, then it would be appropriate to contract your doctor for consideration of an antibiotic.
Dr. D. Love and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you