How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19320
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

I have a query regarding my mother who is 82. She got shingles

This answer was rated:

I have a query regarding my mother who is 82. She got shingles a number of years ago and keeps getting as she says the shingles pain. She was on the phone to me last night in tears as it is now relentless her quality of life is gone she cant plan anything as she never knows when its going to hit and how long it is going to last... Is their anything can be done for this hearing all sorts as you can imagine....Just want something to make her last years more comfortable and allow her to do the things she wants to do.
Hello from JustAnswer.It will help if you could provide some further information.Where is the shingles pain located?Does she have any other medical problems?Is she taking any chronic medicines other than the morphine patches?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The pain is located left shoulder.
She is on Warfarin
Suffers badly also from Migraine
Recently has had an issue where she gets terrible pain in both legs and loses the use of them for 5-10mins and then it passes off she usually knows when this is going to happen but that is a new issue.
She has surgery 6 months ago for hiatus hernia as her stomach had moved upwards into the chest cavity.
Thank you for the additional information. There are a several options for relief of chronic, recurrent pain after shingles, also called post-herpetic neuralgia. The most commonly used medicines work by suppressing the firing of the nerves carrying the pain message. This can be done with certain anticonvulsants, such as gabapentin or pregabalin, or with certain antidepressants, such as nortriptyline or duloxetine. There also are topical medicines that can be used when the pain is felt in the torso or extremities, including over the shoulder. Numbing medicines, such as lidocaine, are available as creams or patches. Another cream, capsaicin, works by interrupting the nerve ending perception of pain. The lidocaine is better for episodic treatment, whereas the effect of the capsaicin needs to build up over several weeks, so is better for long-term treatment. Nerve injections are a possibility, but are usually not considered until these other interventions are tried, as the long term effect appears to be limited, but would be worth considering when other interventions are unsuccessful. I ask about other medicines because there should be consideration of possible drug interactions. The anticonvulsants and the topical treatments can be taken along with the warfarin without affecting the anticoagulant effect. However, if one of the antidepressants is to be considered, there could be an effect on the warfarin, so these medicines would not be preferred. However, if used because other interventions have not been successful, the blood tests should be monitored closely. At this point, she can discuss these options with her doctor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your reply she is at her wits end and her own doc just not seem to pay much attention.
You are most welcome.
Dr. D. Love and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you