How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

I have a problem with shaking hands,when I try to do any task

Customer Question

I have a problem with shaking hands,when I try to do any task and especially when trying to pick up a cup etc,it has been a problem for about 15 years,and it has been an hereditary problem from my mother,now me and 2 of my children appear to be starting the same,they are 40 son,and 45 daughter,i am 75 yrs,i have a daughter aged 47 in Australia,who seems to be clear of it.
what do you suggest.
aprox 2010 I asked a local GP,who prescribed POPRANALOL10 mg,which made me ill,and gave them up after 1 month
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HelloI suggest you see a neurologist.Familial tremor can be difficult to treat.To answer your question:Beta blockers are used, and there are others besides propanalol.If those are not tolerated or don't work, brain stabilizing medications can be used: gabapentin is one such example. Topamax is a different type of medication within this same class.Botox injections are sometimes used.Tranquilizers are also used, but are not preferred due to potential problems down the road.Types of physical therapy are very important. An assessment from a physical medicine doctor [physical medicine and rehabilitation] should be done in this regard, and this can be even more important than medications.I would suggest anyone affected see a specialist, not simply a GP.This is not self help or home therapy.Finally, stress reduction techniques, such as biofeedback, can help tremendously. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.