How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 49197
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

I have red patches in an intimate area (they come and go

This answer was rated:

hi, i have red patches in an intimate area (they come and go and get bigger and smaller but seam quite aggressive), they first appeared years ago and i suspected an sti, after not being able to find similar on the net i went to gum clinic, they took swabs etc and were adamant it was more of a skin irritation that anything else, possibly caused by soap / shower gel (i dont suffer from this anywhere else and am not usually bothered by biological washing powder etc), i was given cream for it (i forget what it was) it dulled it but never went totally away, i have been fighting it for years now and as u can imagine it really effects my social life, i have used desonide cream and betnovate (niether precribed for this) which i have for dermatitis on my hands, i am hoping someone may know by looking at a picture or be able to give me some idea, i am going to return to gp but its not an easy thing to discuss face to face, thanks in advance - scott
This is Dr. David
did you try an antifungal cream which dulled it but never totally went away?
desonide and betnovate are steroid creams and would not kill a fungal infection.
are these red patches itchy?
do you have sweating and moisture in your intimate areas?
fungal infections like to grow in dark, warm, moist areas.
I would be happy to look at a photo
here are instructions to how to upload a clear jpg photo from a computer.
type a word in the textbox and highlight it
then select the "chain" icon above the textbox or the paper clip icon to upload a jpg
this opens a window where you can click next to the text box to select the jpg or pdf file on your computer to upload into JustAnswer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi, i'll let u see what u think, this is the worst its been for a while, usually a little smaller, and sometimes only one spot, in real life they are not quite as bright red as they are under a camera flash
that looks like dermatitis
or possibly early skin ulcers.
are they painful? painful could mean they are herpes ulcers or shingles outbreak.
it could be a fungal infection from the moisture there
it could be dermatitis from irritation from shower gel and not rinsing properly after soaping up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no not painful at all, never have been, just looks bad, i need to get this cteared up what should i be using?? what antifungal should i try?
you should wash the area with mild Dove soap and water rinsed well daily
or it could be from sexual trauma and broken blood vessels
broken blood vessels can take weeks to months to heal.
trauma during sex, rough sex, or suction from oral sex can break blood vessels under the skin and cause red marks like that.
it doesn't look like a typical fungal infection.
fungal infections tend to be ichy as well.
clotrimazole 1% is a common antifungal cream which is over the counter and is used 2-3 times a day for 6-8 weeks to clear up fungal infections.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
Thanks for using
Dr. David and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks, i'm still a bit stumped as to what to do, i have my own doctors booked