Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician

I know this sounds silly but I had a head cold

Hi. I know this sounds silly but I had a head cold for over a week and my nose was blocked the whole time which was really annoying so I thought was mabey a bacterial infection. My mother had a pack of flucloxacillin so I thought I'd try that. After the 3rd tablet I got really unwell chronic nousia very scary then vomited and did 3 times through the night. 13 hours later I still feel pretty unwell and slightly nauseous
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this normal. Never actually had nausea like that before. last night when it first happened it was quite a scary experience. Not quite so bad now but I gather it's my stomach that causes this?
This is Dr. David
antibiotics can cause upset stomach and diarrhea and could cause you to have antibiotic resistant bacteria if you are not taking them properly and under a doctors supervision.
you should see a doctor about your nose and sinuses
you might need to take sinus allergy medications and steroid nasal sprays for your blocked sinuses.
you might need a sinus CT scan to see if you need sinus surgery
you need to see your GP doctor about this nausea these antibiotic pills are causing.
you might need to take stomach acid reducing medications to help decrease stomach acid to help your stomach heal
taking antibiotics on an empty stomach can often cause upset stomach.
let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for reply. I think my sinuses actually feel better today I wish I hadn't taken the antibiotics now they were just there for the taking but my stomach obviously didn't agree with them. I feel I little more settled now I can think straight and iv just managed to eat half a cracker hopefully it stays down
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think my stomach will settle without acid reducers
you are welcome
I'm glad your sinuses are getting better
you can try pepto bismal or maalox for your stomach and see if those help
ginger and ginger tea can also help settle your stomach as well
eat more of a bland diet, like rice, crackers, chicken broth, bananas which can be easier on your stomach
you should never take antibiotics on an empty stomach
and you should not take them without a doctor's prescription.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
Thanks for using
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just out of interest how long could my stomach take to settle as it's still really upset and I can't sleep. Gaviscon (pepto) works well but is very short lived
your stomach could be producing excessive stomach acid
you have to change your diet to avoid foods which cause more acid like no alcohol, no sodas, spicy foods, black pepper, tomato sauces, fried foods, fatty meals all of which can cause worse stomach acid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The nausea has gone but my stomach just won't settle I have eaten half a slice of bread and 2 crackers along with half a glass of whole milk. I'm scared if I eat anymore I may be sick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's over 6 hours
you need to try stronger stomach acid blockers like zantac or nexium 20mg to help your stomach
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My mother uses ranitidin would this help in the short term
randitidine is zantac.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you how long would it take for the stomach to settle using it. Thanks
it should get better in a few hours.
if you have bad anxiety symptoms, this can cause upset stomach as well.
you shouldn't be drinking whole milk which has a lot of fat in it and fat causes your stomach to produce more stomach acid
milk is not a good idea when you have too much stomach acid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok all this is good to know. Thats prob why the milk has done nothing. So if I take a randitatin tablet now I should mabey get some settlement in a few hours? What I would do for some sleep right now lol again thanks
yes, you should get some improvement in a few hours
you didn't answer the question about your anxiety.
you should use maalox or mylanta at night time before bed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok i'l take it now. Can I mabey take some gaviscon in half an hour to an hour to help in between?Sorry no it was only really last night when it happened and this morning when I was nauseous.I do find myself taking deep breaths all the time but I think it's to do with my stomach
that is fine.
please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
Thanks for using
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
5 stars
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Could my stomach take a while to recover. It still feels quite heavy/uneasy I can eat toast and crackers but chicken soup makes it heavy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Been 2 days now