DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.

My father has had extreme tiredness and weakness in his body

my father has had extreme tiredness and weakness in his body and headaches. he is 68 years old. has had blood tests carried out, all ok he says. also x ray of his chest which came back with a infection on his liver. he has been given amoxicillin to take 500mg 3 time a day. although I am still concerned he still has the weakness and aches in the body are we missing something? do we need a second opinion? thank you
HelloAn abscess of the liver would need a far more comprehensive antibiotic regimen.This needs further attention as to shy he has it, and how it might need to be tested or drained.Take him to an infectious disease doctor.An infection on the liver really makes no sense, unless it is hepatitis, which would not be helped with amoxicillin, it is viral.Ask for a referral from the GP now. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Call his GP today in fact.
Good luck.
Let me now if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would going to A&E help? if we were going to ask for infectious desease testing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
apologies infection on the lungs?
Yes.They could do most testing there.If it is the lungs, the antibiotic is still not good.If pneumonia, not good at allplease click a positive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
inflammation 6 week course of antibiotics!
wrong antibiotic.
Please click a positive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
why wrong anti biotic?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what should he be on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not pneumonia apparently!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr Thomas MD am I waiting for your answer or are you waiting for me to click a positive?
Your post did not come back to me.
Amoxicillin has a lot of resistance.
You can't say no pneumonia without an x ray at this point.