How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 58680
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

Im 20, and last few years ive been putting up with

This answer was rated:

Hi, im 20, and for the last few years ive been putting up with what i believe to be 'excessive sweating'. Mainly my underarms and palms. I can be doing something as simple as being at a meal or family event, and i sweat, alot, i get the patches under my arms and my hands are continuously clammy. I use anti perspirants but i still sweat. Are there any products i can use to tackle this?
Thanks for this question. This is known as hyperhidrosis and there are a couple things you can try1)any aluminum chloride based anti perspirant. You can usually get these OTC but some places require a prescription. 2)there are oral meds like glycopyrrolate that your GP can give you that will help3)last resort is botox injections or surgery. Both will help reduce sweating but are somehwat extreme.I would try the aluminum chloride based anti perspirant first
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 58680
Experience: GP in the United States
Dr. Phil, MD and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
HelloWe do not treat or diagnose on line.I would not try anything until the possible underlying causes have been ruled out by your doctor.These areCertain medicationsDiabetesMenopause hot flashesLow blood sugarHyperthyroid.Some types of cancerHeart attackNervous system disordersInfectious diseaseOthersI am a double board certified clinical doctor.Find me, Dr. Thomas, anytime in medical by request for accurate, safe, precise and comprehensive answers.
Thanks for the rating. I have seen this dozens of time in my practice and rarely is there an underlying cause.And as a 20 year old male I doubt you are having menopause hot flashes. LOLYou are fine Jack, and this is SUPER common in young men your age. Try the treatments I suggested and consult with your doctor when you can. Thank you :)