How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 48801
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

I am 31 years old and have worsening knee and pain in tops

Customer Question

i am 31 years old and have worsening knee and pain in tops of my legs this seems to not really be lessen by resting or activity. Also find that couple hours of activity wipes me out - i literally cannot stay awake any longer. also suffer from depression
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David
are you willing to see a doctor and get treatment for your depression?
depression can cause body aches and pains.
antidepression medications like cymbalta can help fight depression and help decrease body aches.
treating your depression could give you more energy
you need to get blood test to check for thyroid hormone levels as well.
do you have a GP doctor you can see?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im being treated fr the depression and anaemia
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
I see.
anemia can take a while to correct to bring up your hemoglobin and iron levels
depression can take several weeks on medications to fix depression.
what medications are you taking?
how long have you been taking them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
5 years and sertralene --- i dont want to change again and depression feels managed just the pain tats new im scared its cfs or something
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
I see
what dose of sertraline are you on?
have you had your iron levels checked and hemoglobin levels checked to see if they are better?
iron deficiency should not take 5 years go fix.
you also need your thyroid hormone levels checked as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thyroid levels are normal , or were last time they were checksI am on 200mg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
then it get reduced to 150 for so long before it put back to 200
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
think iron caused by heavy periods.... but birth control tablets did not make difference and not prepared to go for other options
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
heavy periods can cause loss of iron.
if you don't stop the heavy periods, you will continue to loose iron and be anemic.
200mg is max dose of sertraline
if you are still depressed, you might need additional medications.
there are additional medications which can help your depression symptoms.
have you talked to your GP doctor about your depression symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but all is said that I need to do the group support therapy ..... however it makes me quite poorly headwise and self harm, and suicidal intentions so feel need to protect myself from that. So feels pointless going back GP with the depression,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
However the depression side things I am not so bad.. its just the pain in my legs and knee. And the effect that having on my day and mobility
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
are you willing to talk to a psychiatrist MD doctor?
you should be seeing a psychotherapist weekly as well if you don't want to do group
you should ask about additional medications like aripiprazole or clozapine or quetiapine or resperidone which could help your sertraline work better for you.
you could gout in your knees or early arthritis or tendonitis in your knee.
you might need a knee xray or MRI scan to help with diagnosis.
you should be able to talk to your GP doctor about pain in your knee.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they saying that not available and because im in uk they have to agree to that unless i go private but thats not possibility.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
those medications are available to you
you might have to see a psychiatrist to get them.
you should ask your GP doctor to refer you to see a psychiatrist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you aware how UK works ? --
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not think it is my GP who can do that, they can only refer me to mental health team I think, and it is them that says only group therapy is available.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
your GP can make all sorts of referrals to specialist
and the mental health team can assess your symptoms and see if additional medications are necessary or not.