How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 48806
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

Good evening! This is a query about safety in epilepsy. My

Customer Question

Good evening!
This is a query about safety in epilepsy.
My daughter has autism, Down syndrome and uncontrolled epilepsy of various types which manifest every day and currently night.
The residential home in which my 29-year-old daughter resides has changed night-shift arrangements so that she is left alone in her bungalow once asleep with a monitor on her bedroom door in case of complex partial wandering seizures, but with only an auditory monitor in her room.
Her seizures can be single or multiple, but are silent, so would not alert a member of staff in the central staff base, which is where staff now sit during the night, instead of in her bungalow.
Is this against the law at all?
It seems neglectful, as the home may not be aware of any distress.
I would be so grateful for any concrete knowledge about this.
Many thanks,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David
it sounds like you are very worried about your daughter.
the situation is not against the law
and every residential and nursing home has their rules regarding safety and monitoring of their residents there.
surprisingly, there are limited laws and regulations from nursing home to nursing home regarding these situations.
the last laws were written in 1991
are proposals from the US dept of house and human services which tries to help modernize oversite and safety and regulations at nursing homes
congress has to take it up and pass it into law which I don't think has happened yet.
you should write your local congressman and representative about these laws.
you might have to talk to a social worker and see if she might be eligible to be placed at another facility which might watch her more closely.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
Thanks for using