Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I saw a doctor on Monday who diagnosed a viral cough. I have

I saw a doctor on Monday who diagnosed a viral cough. I have no temperature but the cough is very troublesome and persistent. I have a 'rattle' in my upper right chest and am short of breath. I have taken lemon & honey and plenty of fluids but it is painful when I cough and it's leaving me exhausted. I am 72. Should I go back to the doctor or will this clear up eventually?
Hello Julie. Thanks for this question and I'm happy to helpI'm sorry about this problemI think with the shortness of breath, you need to go back. A residual cough is relatively normal but shortness of breath is notIt could be a developing pneumonia.