How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 48711
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

My daughter has suffered from severe depression from late teens.

Customer Question

My daughter has suffered from severe depression from late teens. She was under the care of a private Consulant Psychiatrist since she was 21 over which time she always had relapses.(Now 39 and also suffering from ME which prevents her from working presently). She was bad enough to require 8 sessions of ECT. After the next relapse ECT was considered again but she had a brain haemorrhage in 2008 so this was not possible. Her Psychiatrist investigated every possible anti-depressant but these always resulted in relapses and he was at a loss as to where to go next. Eventually, approximately 3 years ago, she had rTMS treatment (at the London Psychiatry Centre). rTMS has recently been approved by NICE (Dec 15) for use by the NHS. I understand this treatment is only available in England at the London Psychiatry Centre.
The treatment is extremely expensive (she requires monthly maintenance treatments) . I am unable to continue to fund this treatment indefinitely. My question to you is whether, as of right, I can insist that her GP should refer her to the LPC on the NHS or whether this decision is at the discretion of her GP?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David
it is always the decision and descretion of the GP doctor to refer patients out of the NHS system. the London Psychiatry Centre is a private medical center.
usually the NHS doesn't refer outside of the NHS
has the repetitive TMS helped her depression?
another option is 2nd generation antipsychotic medications like risperidone, aripiprazole, clozapine, ziprasidone, olanzapine which can help make conventional antidepressants work better.
you can try to insist the GP doctor refer her to the London Psychiatric Centre.
but it is still up to the GP doctor to do this or not.
let me know if you have other questions.