How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19335
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

I ate a shredded chilli beef Chinese on Monday evening, since

Customer Question

I ate a shredded chilli beef Chinese on Monday evening, since then I have passed a stool yesterday which was tarish black in colour and with lots of redish liquid and with lumps of what looked like dark small blood clots. I passed a stool again this morning and it was the same, I passed another smaller stool a few hours later and it was a light brown stool with small amount of red in it.
I have contacted the Chinese and they have told me they do use red food dye
I am 45 years old, have no stomach pains but to get bloated easily.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. While it is certainly true that certain food and food dyes can cause the stool to turn red, it is still recommended that anyone that has black, tarry stools and/or red, bloody stool should be checked. Since you have had both black stool and red stool, as well as what appeared to be blood clots, it would be appropriate to be checked. If you are otherwise feeling fine, you do not need to be seen emergently. However, if there are symptoms suggesting that your blood volume is low, such as lightheadedness or a rapid heart rate, that would be more concerning, and it would be better for you to be seen emergently. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.