Dr. Justin Brown
Dr. Justin Brown, Doctor
Experience:  Fully Licensed-Internal Medicine Resident, Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine Graduate
37351845

I recently had a urine test as part of a medical

I recently had a urine test as part of a medical which found to have a trace of blood. Obviously a second test was performed in the lab which was found to be normal. Should I be worried about this?
The finding of microscopic blood in urine shouldn't be worrisome in and of itself. Many conditions can cause this and if you do your own research on the internet, you may freak yourself out. However, I have seen this countless times in normal healthy individuals with no apparent cause and in which it is gone with repeat testing. You should have a thorough evaluation by an experienced practitioner to exclude anything serious, but that finding in and of itself is very common.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks for your response. This was for an aviation medical and my guess is the first test was carried out by one of those test strips whereas the second was sent to the lab.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
And yes I have been freaking out looking at kidney or bladder cancer!
Do you exercise? Sometimes vigorous exercise can cause hematuria. You are getting of the age where prostate needs to be checked as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hmm I sometimes exercise twice per day
I understand. It's easy to assume the worse, however this is a common issue. I wouldn't worry too much with just this finding. Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks. James
No problem. Keep up the exercise!