How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 49196
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

After weeks of being unwell I have been doing research about

This answer was rated:

After weeks of being unwell I have been doing research about my symptoms prior to seeing my GP again. Blood tests were normal. I have had an episode like this before about 3 years ago and despite repeated visits to hospital was never diagnosed. I now am almost positive that the problem is chronic pancreatitis. I have every single symptom of this illness but nobody can diagnose me, why is this illness so difficult to diagnose? I got well last time after having an ERCP to unblock a bile duct and having my pancreas flushed through several times. That was after 18 months of being extremely unwell and being repeatedly told by the consultants that they couldn't diagnose what was wrong with me. I really can't face going through all that again. I just want an accurate diagnosis, why is it so hard.
This is Dr. Davidblood test for amylase and lipase are very accurate in being able to diagnose should ask your doctors to check your amylase and lipase levels.if you are drinking regular alcohol or eating fatty foods, these can cause inflammation of your pancreas and cause pancreatitis over time.amylase and lipase are not part of normal blood tests. your doctor has to request them specifically to check for pancreatitis.I would get copies of your blood testingor ask your GP doctor to test you for amylase and lipase and see if they are elevated which would be signs of pancreatitisdo you drink alcohol regularly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I don't drink regularly. I visited a webpage a few days ago that gave lots of information about pancreas problems. They stated that many patients with this illness have normal or very slightly elevated amylase levels, which was the case when I had it checked last time I was ill and that it was often undiagnosed for several years. Are there no tests other than checking the amylase and lipase levels that could confirm a diagnosis? It is a horrible illness and I don't understand why it can go undiagnosed for such a long time.
amylase and lipase are the best ways to check for inflammation of the pancreasask your doctor to check them.that is good you don't drink alcohol regularlycan you tell me more about your symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nausea and vomiting. Lots of pain under the ribs, especially after eating. Weight loss, tiredness and just generally feeling very unwell.
these symptoms could be due to pancreatitisthey could also be due to gastritis inflammation of the stomach from too much stomach acid.have you tried over the counter stomach acid blockers like zantac, prilosex, maalox, mylanta to see if they would help?you might have to avoid certain foods like tomato sauces, spicy foods, fried and oily foods which can worsen stomach acid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am taking zantac but it isn't helping, and also following a low fat diet to try to ease the symptoms, unfortunately that's not helping much either.
I seeyou should see your GP doctor to check for pancreatitisyou should also get a stomach emptying contrast study to check for gastroparesis which is delayed stomach emptying which can cause nausea and vomiting as well.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again: for using
Dr. David and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you