Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Can I ask what to do after two really bad night sleep which

Hi can I ask what to do after two really bad night sleep which is unusual for I woke yesterday at 12.30 then did not fall back to sleep till 6am and tonight I woke up after an hour of sleep completely shivering and then had another of sleep between 2-3 am today
Hello from JustAnswer.Did you check your temperature when you were shivering?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't have a temperature just woke up after an hour in sheer panic shivering I'm not hot I do have a pain in my rib on the left side
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also took 1 neurofen melter at 11.30 last night
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I get a reply back please I'm really worried and I'm a single mum of 1 thank you in advance
Thank you for the additional information. The best over the counter medicine to help with sleep are one of the sedating antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine. The Nurofen does not directly help sleep. It can help to relieve certain symptoms that may be interfering with sleep, such as fever or musculoskeletal pain. Since you do not have a fever, that would not be a reason to take it, but if the pain in the rib is of such severity that it is interfering with sleep, then continuing the Nurofen would be fine and can be taken with the diphenhydramine. So, the best intervention would be the diphenhydramine, but the Nurofen can also be taken if the rib pain is significant. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is that safe to take as I'm on my own with a three year old who wakes in the night
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I see a doctor first thing in the morning ?
Yes, it would be OK to take the diphenhydramine when you are on your own with a three year old. It will not sedate you so strongly that you will not awaken to external stimuli. It would be fine to see your doctor in the morning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to ask so many questions as I've not slept all night and still in a panic what should I do ?
The best thing to do would be to take the diphenhydramine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would not be able to purchase until later today there for no sleep in 48hours ??
Most all-night convenience stores would carry the drug. If you are not able to leave the house because you do not want to wake your child, then your only options would be something that you already have at your house. What medicines do you already have in your house?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only have neurofen but my baby will wake in two hours
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the help I will telephone my doctor in the morning too
The Nurofen will usually not directly help sleep, as I noted above. Your only other option would be to acquire the diphenhydramine after your baby wakes, but if your baby will be up for the day, you may need to find someone to babysit for a while while you get some sleep.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was worried and know I now there is something I could take I will hopefully relax an calm down more thank you
You are very welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was worried incase it was a panic attack or something more underlining
It may be, but the sedating antihistamine is the best that can be taken over the counter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it tablets or liquid
It comes in both forms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank u