Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.

I have come out in a rash this morning. The only thing I can

I have come out in a rash this morning. The only thing I can think of that is different to what I would normally do is that I have have a course of 500mg Amoxycillin for 7 days and just finished the course yesterday? I have also had a upset stomch whilst taking these tablets?
Hi Mark, The course of Amoxicillin is most probably the reason for your rash. It usually takes 7 to ten days for the penicillin- based rash to develop, and this suits well. The upset stomach isn't an allergy sign and occurs quite often without an allergy.Now: Since you stopped Amoxycillin there is nothing you have to do now urgently. You may like to go for bloodworks to ensure an allergic reaction. But more important is: Please tell every doctor that you seem to be allergic against Penicillin! (Amoxicillin is a kind of Penicillin). Antihistamines can help when the rash vecomes too itchy. If they are not strong enough, your doctor can assist with a short cortisone therapy.I wish you good luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, Thank you.
I had popped in to see the Pharmacist and she had said a rash would usually start almost straight away with this antibiotic?
Is a rash quite usual and indeed does it tent to come towards the end of the course?
Do you need to see any pictures of the rash, its not very servere at present?Many thanks,Mark.
I am sorry to say: This is not true as far as Penicillin is concerned. Ther MAY be an early reaction, but mostly it's a late onset allergy. A rash is not usual, appears only in allergies, but abdominal problems are. I would like to see the rash. Does it itch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No not presently? I have only picked up on the rash this morning? I will send the photos across now.
As you can see from the pictures its certainly not very severe at present?Thanks.
It's not too bad, but still looks allergic to me.
If you want to be absolutely sure you should test IgE in your blood, then you will know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Doctor. Could the rash get worse? How long should the rash last and what is IgE?Thanks,Mark.
It can get worse and itchy within the next 2 days. It will last 7 to 14 days, and IgE is a special protein (antibody) which rises in blood during an allergic reaction.
You are very welcome. Please don't forget to rate positively when all your questions have been answered. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Doctor, thank you again. I have started taking anti histermines this AM to help? Is this ok in your view?Thanks.
I told you in the beginning that Antihistamines can be helpful. They are ok.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. Thanks for hopefully 5 stars, and get well soon!
I advised you exhaustively. Is there any reason why you don't care to rate positively yet? Please keep in mind that I only get credit for my help with your positive rating. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I was just trying to work out how to do it. It's done now.Thanks.
Thank you for working at it :-)