How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 58727
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

How can I get my alcoholic son to a place of safety in England

This answer was rated:

How can I get my alcoholic son to a place of safety in England when I live in Scotland. I have phoned nhs 24 who have agreed to ring him but he doesn't always accept he has a problem. He was picked up by police yesterday due to possible suicide threats. He is due to be made homeless again tonight.
Thanks for this questionCan you call an ambulance to come and get him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not realistically as he doesn't admit he has a problem a lot of the time. I think he needs to have a psyc assessment but it's difficult to get someone to see him.
you can get him admitted if you commit him against his will
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I do that when I'm in Scotland and he's in england
You can call his GP or people that know him
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do his friends have to do.
they have to petition that he gets mental help at A and E
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So do they have to get him to an a and e department first or can they ring the emergency services if he won't co operate
they can ring emergency if he won't
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I will pass the message on - the difficulty is that he can be deceptively lucid over the phone and he lies very well
you're welcomePlease don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)if you have more questions, just reply
Dr. Phil, MD and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you