Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Every time I lay on my back and sleep I experience a painful

Every time I lay on my back and sleep I experience a painful headache. The pain is severe and wakes me from my sleep. Lying down on my back awake does not cause a headache, but lying down on my back and falling asleep triggers one every time. The headaches last anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours and the pain constant, not throbbing or stabbing, focused on the back of my head (spread across the bottom and the centre). I have been suffering this since childhood and am looking for some suggestions on what could possibly be causing this. Thanks
Thanks for this questionAny other medical issues?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks for responding. No other medical issues at all

Thanks for this questionDo you have sinus congestion or allergies?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been having infrequent sinus congestion recently but I've had these headaches with/without the congestion. I suffer from mild hay fever, and only other allergy is penicillin.

Sounds to me like it is allergy relatedwhat do you take for this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would the instances in which my nose has not been blocked or felt blocked be allergy related as well?

I'm taking over the counter antihistamines at the moment, Cetirizine

Yes, it wouldI would try OTC flonaseMake sure you see your doctor too