Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have been breathless weeks - I am an asthmatic

I have been breathless for three weeks - I am an asthmatic with normal peak flow readings, not on a preventer inhaler. Dr prescribed a week of Prednilosone (sp) but there was not much change. Been off that for 10 days, still very uncomfortable. There is some clear mucus, not much coughing, and I wake 2-3 times a night desperate for an inhaler - very scary. Am taking my salbutamol 8-10 times a day right now. But peak flows (normal 500) never dropped yet below 425 - is this asthma or something else?
Thank you for your question.I think that with the symptoms that you are mentioning, with normal PEF readings, I would recommend that you should be tested to rule out pulmonary embolish (clot in the lungs).This will require blood thinners if proven.The diagnostic test of choice for this is a CT pulmonary angiogram.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr SH. I have no unusual chest or back pain however (I have scoliosis so have intermittent pain anyway) and the breathlessness can go away for a couple of hours before returning - is this consistent with pulmonary embolism? My sister suffered from DVT, so I am a little worried now. I have no unusual dizziness and have not fainted for a few months. One other thing is that this breathlessness came on after a cold, but the doctor listened to my chest and found no signs of chest infection. I notice the symptoms feel worse when out in the cold air, or on exertion, though they can happen indoors without exertion too.
Showers of pulmonary embolism can cause intermittent shortness of breath.I would like that you should have a CTPA (CT Pulmonary angiogram) to rule out a pulmonary embolus or clot.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards