How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 58761
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

Doctor, My son (2 years old) recently went aboard to

This answer was rated:

Hi Doctor,
My son (2 years old) recently went aboard to China and had a blood test there, which turns out that his ALT (Alanine transaminase ) level is 10 times higher than normal, however the doctors there could not find out what went wrong and he is not in pain, we've been to many hospitals and seen many specialists but still have no idea what is going wrong with him.
I'm extremely concerned because my understanding that ALT is widely used to detect liver problem and 10 times higher than normal could mean significant damage to the liver.
He recently (2 months ago) had Hand-Foot-Mouth disease and I was told that it might have affected ALT level, but he has recovered from the disease, would it still affect ALT level?
I'm extremely helpless at the moment, could you please kindly provide some advice on what I should do?
Thanks and regards
Thanks for this questionThis could be many thingsIt could still be elevated due the virus. Sometimes it takes months to go back downHe absolutely needs a liver ultrasound and blood tests for1)celiac2)hepatitis3)wilson's disease4)immune liver disease I would recommend seeing a liver specialist as he may end up needing a biopsy
Dr. Phil, MD and 6 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr. Phil,Thanks for your quick answer.He has done both liver ultrasound and blood tests , which didn't give any hint.We are indeed planning to see a specialist, just wondering if you have any suggestions on which clinic to go in London?Thanks
private or NHS?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Private only please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much, really appreciate your help