How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19335
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

Ten or so years ago I had a prostectomy, which the surgeon

Customer Question

Ten or so years ago I had a prostectomy, which the surgeon described as 'boring a hole in your prostate to give you more pressure'...or some similar layman's explanation.
I am now 78 and am experiencing very frequent need to pass water during the day and, in particular, at nights or if I have drunk alcohol,and most of the time very low pressure in passing water.
Could I possibly be having a recurrence of my earlier problems and what should I do about it? Is there something I can take?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The medical term for the procedure that you underwent is a transurethral prostatectomy, which removes only that part of the prostate that is immediately around the urethra, the tube that empties the bladder. This is done for men with benign enlargement of the prostate that is causing obstruction of flow because of pinching the urethra. However, this procedure does not attempt to remove all of the prostate, and since there is still a significant amount of the prostate remaining, it is possible for the remaining prostate to continue to get larger and pinch the urethra again many years later. So, yes, you could be having a recurrence of the same problem. It is important to note that it is also possible that you could have another reason for enlargement of the prostate, and the primary concern would be whether there could be a cancer of the prostate. But it is more likely that this is benign enlargement of the prostate. If it is benign enlargement of the prostate, the are several options. It is an option to undergo the same surgery again. However, there are also options of medicines that you can take to help ease symptoms from the benign enlargement of the prostate. The most commonly used are alpha-blockers, such as Flomax. There also are medicines that work hormonally, such as finasteride. You can discuss these medicines with your regular doctor, but it would require consultation with a Urologist for consideration of surgery. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at