How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29282
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now

I had a flu last week which lasted about a week. Now I've

This answer was rated:

Hi I had a flu last week which lasted about a week. Now I've found a lump on my scrotum (near the base of the penis, in the scrotum itself, not in the testes).
It started off as, and has what seems like a typical zit at the surface of the skin, which regularly produces a small amount of pus. The problem is that under this zit there is a large, firm lump, around 2 inches in length, and it seems like it's source is the zit. It is painful to touch, especially around the area of the zit and is uncomfortable to sit as the pain seems to be constant.
It's been this way for 3 or 4 days now, getting slightly bigger. Removing the pus from the zit provides temporary relief but not for long.
I've taken ibuprofen as an antiinflammatory. I originally thought this is due to an inflamed lymph node (but those aren't in the scrotum), or blocked pores which have developed into something bigger.
To reiterate, the location of the lump is beside the base of the penis, but under the skin of the scrotum, and isn't on either the testes or the shaft of the penis. It's large in size (around 2inches) and seems to be growing towards my pelvic region.
I hope it's nothing too serious!
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.The lump is infected.The pus is the dead cells accumulated in the lump.This can be treated well with oral antibiotic course like amoxicillin.Please see your doctor soon about this.The lump can be drained if an abscess is suspected by your doctor.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi doctor Basu, thank you for the swift response! I'm currently in uni so I'm away from home (I therefore do not have access to my GP). Is it possible to get amoxicillin course without a prescription?Is there anything I can do in the meantime to alleviate the pain or to improve quality of life? It's uncomfortable to sit for long with the pain. I took Ibuprofen as an antiinflammatory, is this necessary? Should I continue taking them or stop?I notice the pus buildup usually when I take a shower in the morning. Should I drain it or leave it?Is there anything else you can suggest that can help?Many thanks again for the response
Unfortunately you need antibiotic at least.Any antibiotic will require prescription.You can try your university health center.You should apply warm compress.Also can use hydrogen peroxide solution to wash the area.Please do not press or poke the area to prevent any infection spread.Best wishes,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** definitely talk to my university health centre. Will they also have H2O2 or should I order it separately?I will make a warm compresses for now for temporary relief.I will refrain from poking or pressing it, but of course I'll clean it if it drains by itself.You have been very helpful Dr Basu, I would finally like to ask what caused this and how I can take care of myself better to avoid this in the future? I would like think my hygiene is good; I shower up to twice a day and wear clean clothes as often as possible. Was this caused by the flu or was it an isolated incident?Many thanks again for your time
Hydrogen peroxide should be available in any pharmacy over the counter.Bacterial infection can come from the skin colonization --sweat and heat can make them more aggressive causing the infection of the skin glands initially and then spreading to underlying skin layer.Keeping the area clean and dry as much as possible will help to avoid infection in future.Best wishes
Dr Basu and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you