How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. SH Your Own Question
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 8808
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. SH is online now

Seem to have excessive chest fat. I'm a 25 year old man

This answer was rated:

Hi seem to have excessive chest fat.
I'm a 25 year old man and have had this for as long as I can remember.
It was making me depressed which caused me to put on weight which of course made matters worse.
I have recently gone from 16 stone to 13 Stone however although the rest of my body looks pretty lean I still have man boobs.
They really get me down meaning I wear baggy clothes and would never take my 2 children swimming as I'm too embarrassed.
Please help.
Thank you for your question.Can you please send a picture or two on here for me to see and so that I can help you out in a better way.Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.Since how long are you having this problem?Is this relatively recent or are you having this for a long period of time?Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since teenage years at least. I thought it was due to being overweight but I now have a healthy bmi and the problem is still present
Thank you for the additional information.You are having what we call as gynecomastia.Most commonly this happens without a known cause, which is likely the case with you as well.There is no medication or exercise that has definitively been proven to remove the fat around this area specifically, however, often when you lose weight overall the gynecomastia also improves, which is not the case with you I think.I would recommend that you should consider surgical options for this. There are two options that are currently available:1. Liposuction, which is a procedure where the doctor sucks out the fat under the skin and this may help in your case.2. Mastectomy, in which case the doctor not only removes the fat but also the breast glands as well.So I would strongly recommend that you be seen for this and have this treated with an interventional procedure like I mentioned above.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Dr. SH and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your time.
You are most welcome.Kindest regards