How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29282
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now

I am 77 yrs-old - reasonably healthy and active. I'm suddenly

This answer was rated:

I am 77 yrs-old - reasonably healthy and active. I'm suddenly feeling a little dizzy and in danger of losing my balance. I had a slight crackling sensation in my left ear but that seems to have all but disappeared now. The dizziness has been apparent for about a month or more and I feel it may be gradually worsening.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.The dizziness or vertigo is commonly caused by the ear problem---deposition of the calcium particles known as canaliths which move in the wrong direction in the ear with head motion.Other possibilities like stroke , heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, thyroid disorder should be ruled out.Another common cause of dizziness is vestibular neuritis or labyrinthitis--this means inflammation of the inner ear nerve and the compartment.Bacterial infection can cause this resulting in severe dizziness and hearing loss in the affected ear.THis needs antibiotic treatment.Meniere’s disease is another possibilityMedications like Meclizine can be used 25 mg 2-3 times daily only during severe dizziness suppress the symptoms.Vestibular rehabilitation exercises are very helpful over long term.MRI scan of the brain, electronystagmography should be considered after clinical evaluation by a ENT specialist.Natural supplements vitamin E and ginkgo biloba also may provide relief.There is a homeopathic remedy called 'Vertigoheel' which also has shown some benefits.Vertigo exercises also provide relief on the long term.This is the link to a video on these exercises: For more information on vertigo please visit this website: Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Dr Basu and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you