How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Uzair Your Own Question
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9578
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Uzair is online now

My husband is recovering from Prostate surgery (benign) day

This answer was rated:

My husband is recovering from Prostate surgery (benign) day 5. Catheterised for more than 2 mths. prior to this. From insertion he's experienced severe penis pain - tip and whole inside of penis. Catheterised several time (painfully) due to blockages etc. No medication has brought complete relief. Removal yesterday unsuccessful as retention occured. He is at his wits end and seriously traumatised, but told he should return home today, until another attemp at removal. Please advise, I am alone caring for him, and now desperate for help.
Hi and welcome,There is most likely inflammation of the penis due to repeated and traumatic catheterization which is causing this pain. I would suggest you to get a lidocaine gel and apply to the penis tip and inside 3 to 4 times a day and apply ibuprofen gel over the area. Lidocaine is local anesthetic and would make the area numb and pain free and ibuprofen would help in relieving inflammation and pain. Ultimate treatment is removal of catheter which would relieve inflammation.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Best wishes for your husband.
Dr Uzair and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All the suggestions have been tried without success.
Ok then other possibility is nerve related pain. I would suggest to visit a pain physician he can offer a nerve block technique to lessen this pain.Best wishes.