DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I've had a migraine days. I went to a and e yesterday

I've had a migraine for three days.
I went to a and e yesterday as I had weakness on one side. They ruled out a stroke via an Mri scan.
I've also had this before once.
I've been on agony since with no letting up even after taking codeine and paracetamol. I feel sick and have been sick and I've tried the usual migraine advice. Nothings working. What do I do.
HelloYou are taking the wrong medications.You need a tryptanThis can be given in increasing dose under supervision.You should go back to a &e OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Dr gave me the codeine :(Should I go back then seems as it's not wearing off at all. I don't want to waste their time but I'm in agony.
Wrong drug.Yes , go back.Get a tryptan medication. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thought I'd update you. Went back and saw the triage nurse who basically said nothing can be done. All migraines give stroke symptoms and I need to stay hydrated (even though I'm throwing up) and it will go away some time.
I did not say to see a nurse.Thankfully, in the US for one example, the triage nurse does not make such decisions. Everyone sees a doctor after the nurse.Let's go over some facts here.Codeine is not an appropriate migraine med, nor is it very effective.Acute migraine is best topped with a tryptan drug, at the same time that a chronic and effective migraine drug is prescribed. You have neither. You are not receiving a good standard of care, and the nurse was incorrect.If you know of a good acupuncturist, they stop migraine very quickly. It is said that you have to go private in this sense, but it would be more effective than the care you are currently getting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.In the UK we see triage then the Dr but for some reason she ended it their as she felt it was just a migraine and needed no more help.
That is just wrong.I would write a letter to the hospital administrator and the nursing and medical directors. See that they all get that.The nurse was out of her line.