How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29282
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now

I have had a burning sensation in my vulva area months.

This answer was rated:

I have had a burning sensation in my vulva area for 2 months. I had a kidney infection that was treated with anti bios and then the burning feeling and pressure started.
About 5 weeks ago it went away for 2 weeks and all seemed fine. I then had sex a number of times with my husband over the following weekend and then the burning feeling and pressure came back.
I have had an ultra sound twice in the last year all all looks fine, the last scan being last month.
I have also had a baseline internal scan that looked Fine although the entrance to the womb couldn't be seen because I had put a lubricant in as I thought maybe it was dry.
The outer area was looked at and all looked fine.
No pain on urination and not going more often. All water samples taken were clear of any infection.
Yearly smears all fine ( I pay for private ones in between Nhs ones). Last one April last year.
Consultant thinks potentially Vulvadena but he is away for 2 weeks and I really need some assistant as this is getting me down.
No bleeding after sex, no pain on sex and no foul smelling discharge.
Period was 2 weeks late but I am 42 and my mother was 42 when she started her menopause.
Taken tablet and cream for thrush but no difference.
I have sensitive skin and suffer from skin allergies.
Could this be an allergic reaction down there or Vulvadena or something I need investigated.
According to my gp he doesn't think anything sinister as I have had all the tests. And all clear.
I just want some help in terms of trying to clear whatever this is so I can be more comfortable.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Allergic reaction is quite possible since no infection found.That can be addressed with a steroid ointment like Clobetasol.Another possibility can be estrogen deficiency --a common cause.This can be addressed by estrogen vaginal cream daily.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Dr Basu and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How will I know which one to try or which one is more likely?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I try both?
ou can try clobetasol first for 2 weeks.If no improvement, then you can switch to estrogen cream.Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. So not Vulvadena and try these two first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Consultant said all looked fine and not dry. Does that still point in the area of estrogen def
Yes you can still have symptoms --dryness is more advanced symptom.