How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19461
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

I have noticed a whiteish rash appear on the center of my penis head and I am a little con

This answer was rated:

I have noticed a whiteish rash appear on the center of my penis head and I am a little concerned as this is now only showing. There is no itching. It does cause a rash and I have noticed some flaking.
Would you be able to give me some advise please? I am thinking possibly a skin issue as opposed to an STD as I have been with my partner for 4 years. It is very frustrsting. No discharge or anything of that nature.
Hello from JustAnswer. Yes, a white rash on the penis is not typical for any STD, so it would be correct to be concerned about a different type of infection or a skin condition. By a different type of infection, the primary concern would be a fungal skin infection, which can appear as a white rsh and would frequently also have some flaking. An inflammatory skin condition also could cause such an appearance, but the hydrocortisons cream is teh best over the counter cream that can be used for an inflammatory condition. A physical examination and possibly a scraping of the flaking for microscopic examination would be necessary for a precise diagnosis, but another option would be to try an over the counter anti-fungal cream, such as clotrimazole, to see if it helps the rash. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the replyIf it is due to a skin condition such as a fungal infection. Does that mean that they can reoccur at any time?I am going to be checked in the Clinic just to be sure and maybe speak with a dermatologist?What creams would you recommend for this affliction? Also, please find attached some photos for your professional opinion.Thanks
There are no attached photos.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I shall attach them now.
If it is a fungal infection, then yes, it can recur at any time. The fungus that causes skin infections are very common in the environment, so can happen at any time. From the appearance, I would be first concerned about a fungal infection, so the clotrimazole that I noted above would be appropriate.If it is an inflammatory condition, the usual cream would be a medium potency steroid cream, such as triamcinolone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thats brilliant, I was worrying that it could have been something worse. I have had them before and they usually go away. Just never seen it like this before.So you would suggest a fungal infection such as thrush for example? Should I still go and see a Dermatologist?Can I use any normal types of creams to help while I wait for the doctors exam to aid it healing?Thanks
A mild fungal infection will frequently resolve with regular cleaning. Thrush refers to a specific fungal infection, Candida. While Candida can infect the skin of the penis, there are other fungal infections, particularly dermatophytes, such as jock itch, which is a similar infection that affects the groin. If it clears with the clotrimazole, then there is no need to be seen, but if it persists, it would be appropriate to be seen.
Dr. D. Love and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One final thing if I may, could it possibly be anything else worse than thrush or would you say that could be where the line is drawn?Thanks
First, many men would consider an inflammatory condition of the penis as worse than a fungal infection. However, even beyond that, there are always less common things that can be present, which is why it is always recommended to be seen if the problems persist. Doctors typically are first concerned with common conditions, but if any changes in the skin are persistent, it is appropriate to pursue further evaluation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I understand what you are saying. It is just very frustrating and I know it can be worse when you google your symptoms as you dont know which website to trust apart from the NHS or sites like this.I just want to be rid of this or prevent it from occurring. Hopefully, next week will be able to guide.Thanks for your advise those, it reasures me that it isnt anything like Syphillis or HIV is it?Thanks
No, this is not the appearance of syphilis or HIV.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ahh that is brilliant. Thanks for your advise and quick responses.
Should I have any other concerns I shall come back here.
You are very welcome. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at