How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19437
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

Please help me suffer from depression and drink to much,

This answer was rated:

please help me for I suffer from depression and drink to much, this isnt the way I was brought up to be like, please give me advice for i feel I am not getting the right help.
Hello from JustAnswer.How much is the citalopram helping the depression?How long have you been taking the citalopram?Have you recently had any significant period of time that you have been able to remain abstinent from alcohol?
I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back. There are several issues to consider in this situation. Excessive alcohol intake is associated with a worsening of depression and difficulty of depression to respond to antidepressants. Therefore, the usual recommendation in someone with persistent depression is to avoid alcohol intake. The diazepam has advantages and disadvantages. It cross-reacts with the alcohol receptor, so can help in certain alcohol related complications, such as alcohol withdrawal. However, long-term use is associated with worsening of depression and periods of withdrawal from diazepam may encourage resumption of alcohol use. It would usually be preferred to use antidepressants possibly using other medicines that can augment the effect of the antidepressants. The citalopram is a good antidepressant, but no antidepressant works well for 100% of people with depression. If the citalopram has no benefit or very little benefit, then the usual next step would be to change to a different antidepressant. However, if the citalopram has a modest benefit, but not as much as would be desired, it may be better to add a second antidepressant or a medicine to augment the antidepressant. So, the usual recommendation would be to avoid alcohol completely, to see if the diazepam can be limited or stopped, and to adjust the medicines for the depression. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19437
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Dr. D. Love and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I drink everyday the habit seems to be getting worse I know its so wrong but I feel I have noone in the world I have lost my strength
and my ability to enjoy life, so much has happened,but I want to be able to be the kind generous loving person I once was.
sorry. having technical issues with long distance phone calls now.rebooting.will try to call you in a moment.
I called the number and got a phone screening serviceand then it hung up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I live in ayrshire,scotland, my husband works away month on and off, I have just lost my only big brother, I lost my dad nine years ago of cancer it was horrible to watch a fine, gentleman didnt smoke or drink, riddled with cancer went to his brain, my mum has dementia and in care, I looked after them both,whilst looking after a young son, my husband and I took both my parents in bought a bigger house,tried so hard left my part time job in office, havent worked for 10 years, but, my husband was a heavy drinker and I wasnt when my dad passed thats when drink was a big part of my life, no friends for I didnt have time for friends, my son knows I drink to much for I hide it and he finds it, but, my husband isnt helping he makes a fool of me, I feel so ashamed and embarrassed for my son always came frst. an I am so roud ofhi plee help me.
you have to seek help from your doctor to help you stop drinking.your doctor can help you find a treatment program who where you can get support to stop doesn't sound like your husband is willing to support you.