How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bob Your Own Question
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 5657
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Bob is online now

I am a 24 year old female. I have been diagnosed with

This answer was rated:

I am a 24 year old female. I have been diagnosed with 'significant faecal impaction' after a long period of being stuck in the house due to ill health. I had an x-ray which said that the impaction was on both sides of my large colon. I do not know how to move it. I have lost a stone in weight due to having no appetite, I feel sick all the time, I am unable to leave the house due to feeling so unwell. I also have either overflow diarrhoea or pencil thin, really pale coloured stools.
I have taken 8 sachets of movicol on two seperate occasions, as well as moviprep and I know the impaction is still there because I feel the same and I am still having pencil thin stools.
Do you have any suggestions regarding how I can treat this impaction, so that I can have a quality of life again?
Thank you,
Hi Helen, it is generally safer to try to evacuate an impaction from below. If you have no contraindications, an enema might be safer and more effective. Ask your doctor about using an osmotic enema. This will help to "pull" the stool out instead of putting pressure behind it and pushing it out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Bob,I have been told that the impaction is quite far into my colon, not in the sigmoid part and that an enema might not be effective for where it is. Do you think an osmotic enama would work with it being so far into my colon?I am also due to have a sigmoidoscopy May.Thanks,Helen.
Yes, because it stimulates the colonic reflex either way and this gets peristalsis going. The longer one holds the fluid in, and the more one is able to turn left and right to move it along, the better. Just make sure you do not have any risk factors such as previous bowel surgery or advanced renal disease. Your doctor can advise you in this regard. Most people tolerate enemas quite well.
The sigmoidoscopy is a good idea, but you need to keep the stool moving in the meantime. If you can't get it out from above or below, you may need to visit the ER. In severe cases, a soap suds enema may be used, or even a mechanical disimpaction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a mechanical disimpaction work with it being so far into my colon? I went to A&E on Sunday and the doctor did a rectal examination, and said that that part was clear. The impaction is further in.
It is likely moving very slowly downstream. You would need another x-ray to see where it is currently. Manual disimpaction does require that the impaction be in the distal sigmoid colon.
Dr. Bob and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you,Helen.
You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best for you.