How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

I feel very sick with memories of past childhood abuse,

This answer was rated:

I feel very sick with memories of past childhood sexual abuse, I went to my GP for help and all that i was given was him talking over me and then handing me a number for some kind of cbt self-referral, I did not contact the service as I have used a similar kind of service before and it did not help at all, I don't know what else to do - i just want to die
HelloI am not sure what your question is. I will assume you are asking, what to do.But CBT alone , without a practitioner who is a PhD clinical psychologist, will not often help.You need a clinical psychologist who specializes in PTSD and childhood trauma, which also can cause dissociation.Since you have not mentioned any of these, I suggest you have not been properly treated.PTSD [post traumatic stress disorder] might require therapy, EMDR and hypnosis, for example.You need a better practitioner than what you have had.From what I can tell in your brief description. I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.
DrRussMD and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr Thomas,
That is exactly what I was hoping my GP would arrange for me, I told him exactly how I feel and in the end I left the consultation feeling like I have wasted his time. He even said that it happened so many years ago and that I should move on. I have had some private therapy but could not continue due to costs involved, how else can i access a proper long term treatment on the NHS?
Put the request in writing, in detail.Send it to your doctor, ask that a copy be kept in your chart.REquest specifically for a PhD clinical psychologist, who has experience with PTSD and childhood sexual trauma.If he knows know one, ask him to investigate who you can see in the letter.An alternative is a psychiatrist who is experienced in the therapy of PTSD, dissociation, and childhood trauma.This should get more action, once it is in writing in in your chart for future review.In fact you can work it that way in the letter.There is probably going to be some delay once you have an appointment, of course.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long do people take to recover - I have been trying for the past 15 years and nothing much helped. It seems I have to work very hard in trying to get better or pay a lot of money for this. I have also moved out of the area and now having to find a new GP - it's taking so long and I'm not getting anywhere, is there a free treatment I could access somewhere, or do I need to attempt suicide to get help quick?
You have your trauma for life.Becoming stable and able to deal with it, without continued trauma, is highly variable, depending on the individual.Several sessions to a hear or more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so there is no hope for me - thanks
I think you misread my last answer completely.Please read it again.You can get over the negative effects of the trauma.Several sessions to a year or more of sessions.It depends on your motivation, your therapist, your willingness, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just want to die now!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15 years of trying
That is a different story. You need to go immediately to the ER if that is your statement.A&E that is.You need to have follow up arranged from there, assuming they do not want to admit you.I will submit this to just answer as a suicidal customer post at this point so that they can contact you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All doctors are so matter of fact and clinical about this - no wonder so many people commit suicide over this, i guess just another number coming up
We are not replacing your doctors on this site. We don't have anything to do with your doctors, diagnosis or treatment.Child hood trauma affects many, many people who are neglected and go undiagnosed.So, indeed, it takes work,usually to get to the correct practitioner. I hope I have given you pointers on how to get your GP to do this.All of that said, since you have expressed suicidal intent, maybe, I have forwarded this as a report to customer service at justanswer.I still recommend that, based on your last statements, you go to A&E. This often will alert your doctor to the seriousness of your situation as well.