How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

I have pain in one of my legs just under my bottom and then

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have pain in one of my legs just under my bottom and then down my leg. I sit for a bit and then I get up and walk the pain shots straight through me. It also feels like my leg is going to give out. Any ideas please..
Thanks Sarah
HelloThis is typical of sciatic pain, which can be a disc problem in the lower spine.You need to see either an othopedist or a physical medicine MD about this.The correct physical therapy is needed for it in most cases.If neglected, it can become a surgical problem later.You can use pain meds, ice, etc, but these do not correct the underlying problem. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here
DrRussMD and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I just keep taking tablets for the time being or will that do more harm than good ?
You need a doctor for pain and therapy, both.