How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19334
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

When I turn over onto my right side in bed or look down I

Customer Question

When I turn over onto my right side in bed or look down I feel as though the room is spinning so fast and I have to cling onto something to stop myself from falling
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be glad to help you today. This spinning sensation is called vertigo. If this is of short duration, such as the last few days or less, it is most likely due to inflammation of the inner ear, called labyrinthitis. This is usually a self-limited problem and will usually resolve spontaneously, and is frequently a viral infection. It is only rarely a bacterial infection, but if the symptoms are more severe or persistent, then it may be appropriate to consider antibiotics. The usual approach would be medicines to help ease symptoms. While most of the medicines are only available by prescription, it would be reasonable to try some Benadryl to see if it helps. If this has been of longer duration, it is most often due to benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, or BPPV. BPPV is due to crustal formation in the inner ear that can settle into a sensitive part of the ear and cause irritation. The usual treatment for this are certain maneuvers that move the crystals away from the point of irritation, such as an Epley maneuver. If this is the problem, then your doctor can teach you the maneuvers. The are several other, less common causes of vertigo, such as Menieres disease or inflammation of the nerve the serves the inner ear, a type of neuritis. If the vertigo is persistent, then it would be appropriate to see an ENT physician for a proper evaluation. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.