How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 48738
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

Having had gastritis over 2 years ago and spending several

Customer Question

Having had gastritis over 2 years ago and spending several mths on ppi which gave me many side effects and deficiencies. ..I got myself back to good health. .I've recently had a couple of viral infections and been under a lot of stress and my gastritis symptoms have returned along with mild anxiety. I am 54 female and concerned about being prescribed ppi are there alternatives to this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidyes, there are other stomach acid reducers which can decrease stomach acid without being a PPI proton pump inhibitorthere are antacids like maalox, mylanta, tums, rollaids, gaviscon which can help decrease stomach acid and neutralize stomach acidthere are also antihistamines such as zantac and tagamet which are useful in decreasing stomach acidthe best way to decrease stomach acid is to change your diet and avoid spicy foods, fried foods, oily foods, alcohol, sodas, tomato sauces, black pepper all of which can worsen stomach acideat smaller healthier more frequent meals.avoid smoking.don't miss meals as this can worsen stomach acid.if you have bad anxiety symptoms, you may benefit from regular exercise, meditation, yoga, or anti-anxiety medications to help decrease anxiety.manuka honey as well is used often as an anti-inflammatory agent for the stomachlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me: for using
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have any other questions?