How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 58350
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

I have been diagnosed with diabetes - last HbA1C was7.3 I am

This answer was rated:

I have been diagnosed with diabetes - last HbA1C was7.3
I am on metformin 500mg X 4 and Gliclazide 40mg X 2 a day
My blood sugar levels are still very high 2 hours after eating so I don't think the medication is working. I have tried to reduce my carb intake but even 1 slice of whole meal bread makes it rise and takes a long time to come down. I feel I cannot enjoy my food and life is a bit miserable.

Thanks for this question.

I'm very sorry about this.

I would consider adding something that targets post prandial sugars. Or reducing the glicazide and using something that targets post prandial sugars.

I have found that a little used drug called acarbose can do this quite well.

Acarbose is very simple. It inhibits the absorption of most or all of the sugar you eat.

Many doctors don't use it but please ask about it Sybil. It works very well for this exact issue.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - that is helpful and I will go to my doctor and ask about this.

you're welcome :)

glad to help

please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it

Dr. Phil, MD and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you