How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 58677
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

I am a 29 year old smoker. I have reoccurring chest

This answer was rated:

I am a 29 year old smoker. I have reoccurring chest infections that escalate quite quickly and usually follow a bout of influenza or common cold.
At present, I'm experiencing a tightness/burning sensation in my chest, it's particularly bad when I cough (partially productive).
I haven't been to see my GP and would rather self medicate or buy otc medication.Any advice on how to clear the onset of this chest infection will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Is not smoking an option?

clearly this is making everything much worse

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I usually limit how much I smoke when I'm feeling this way, and I will be cutting back until I'm feeling better. I would really like to know if there is any medication I can take or anything i can do to help relieve these symptoms I am currently facing. Something to stop the burning in my chest and maybe stop the cough..?

you really need an inhaler

can you get one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which kind of inhaler? For asthma?

yes like albuterol

you can't really get them OTC though

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will ventolin do?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you. I was thinking of purchasing a nebulisor, they're quite costly. Do you think it's a worthwhile investment and could help with the chest infections? Are there any other medicines available over the counter that you suggest I get?


nebulizers are awesome

Dr. Phil, MD and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you