How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29282
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now

I'm not sure if the lump in my vagina is normal

This answer was rated:

I'm not sure if the lump in my vagina is normal

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Is it painful?

You can post a picture for better evaluation.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

Dr Basu and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no pain just a hard lump I'm trying to attach a picture but doesn't seem to want to work

Ok thanks for the pictures.

The lump is right at the opening of the vagina.

This is a benign cyst arising from the lining of the vagina ( labia majora).

This does not cause any problem usually.

However, this can be removed by a gynecologist if needed.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok what kind of cyst is it as it feels quite hard and large? I saw there are certain types of cysts?

This is likely a bartholin cyst --a common occurrence --may get hard from scar tissue formation.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I've read somewhere it can be caused by a middle ear infection which I had then my ear perforated but no gunk came out could this have been the cause of it?

No very unlikely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help do I need to go to the doctors or anything?

Very welcome

Although not urgent, you can get it checked by your doctor also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you what would treatment involve if needed?

Usually nothing --just observation.

if it is getting bigger then it will be removed surgically --minor procedure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I have checked it again today and it seems bigger and harder why is this?

The size can fluctuate mildly.

But keep an eye on it.

if it becomes painful or even bigger then you should see your doctor to remove it.

this is still considered a benign growth.

the size may change due to the influence of estrogen.

Best wishes