How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. SH Your Own Question
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 8808
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. SH is online now

My wife has a on going problem with her legs swelling, you

Customer Question

my wife has a on going problem with her legs swelling, you has been told tat is water she has taken tablets and gets very little relieve, she gets a lot of pain with this conditions I would like to get her to see a specialist who deals with anatomical conditions such as this, she has had 2 knee replacements one 8 years ago and the other one 10 weeks ago, both legs have the problem, which has been on going for 18 months, can you give some advice and the type of specialist who we could consult
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Sorry to hear about your wife.

The swelling that she is having in her legs is medically called as peripheral oedema.

This can be caused by a number of conditions such as:

  1. Incompetent valves of the legs
  2. Heart disease
  3. Liver disease
  4. Kidney disease

I would strongly recommend that she be seen by her regular doctor or GP to have these conditions considered and if required be referred to a specialist i.e. heart specialist if a heart problem is suspected, liver specialist of liver disease is suspected and nephrologist if kidney disease is suspected.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Please do rate me before you leave by clicking on one of the rating options as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards